Salmon & Asparagus Appetizer
Recipe developed by Chef Joanna Sable
.Serves 4 as an appetizer
- 8 slices of prosciutto
- 4 x 1/4 inch slices of fresh organic salmon each cut in half
- 20 cleaned and trimmed Ontario asparagus stalks
- 1 head of fennel with the fronds and outer layer removed wash and keep fronds
- 1 bunch washed and dried Italian parsley tough bottom stems removed
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp canola oil divided
- 10 baby fingering and tiny blue potatoes or any small potatoes you can find washed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wrap the slices of prosciutto around the salmon and set aside. Have a large bowl ready to add all the vegetables.
- Shave or slice thinly the asparagus and fennel. Add to it the parsley and fennel fronds roughly chopped.
- In a small bowl mix together the mustard and vinegar. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while stirring to emulsify it. Add salt and pepper to taste and toss into vegetables. Let rest.
- Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to a non-stick frying pan. Once hot, add the salmon and crisp on all sides. This should take approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and cover lightly with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe pan and add the last tablespoon of canola oil. Add potatoes and a teaspoon of salt and pepper. Crisp the potatoes.
- In the middle of each plate add 1/4 of the salad and try to make a tight mound. Place 1/4 of the potatoes around each plate randomly and then top with 2 pieces of the salmon. Serve and enjoy.Source: asparagus.on.ca