Asparagus, Spinach and Cheese Phyllo Pie
Recipe developed by Irene Matys
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted + extra to grease pan
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 bunch Ontario asparagus woody ends trimmed and shaved
- 3 cups fresh spinach roughly chopped
- ½ cup green onions thinly sliced, including green
- ½ cup parsley finely chopped
- 2 cup goat feta cheese crumbled
- ½ cup Halloumi Cheese grated
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 450 g phyllo pastry sheets
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Butter an 8-inch springform pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions until translucent and tender for about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the asparagus, spinach, green onions, cooked onions, parsley, feta, halloumi and beaten eggs. Season with salt and pepper and toss gently until well mixed. Set aside.
- Combine the ¼ cup melted butter with remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in a bowl.
- Place phyllo between a damp tea towel, this will ensure it does not dry out.
- Layer 8 sheets of phyllo in the pan. Using a pastry brush, brush each with melted butter mixture.
- Fill with asparagus mixture and fold edges over.
- Layer 8 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with melted butter. Ensure the sides of the phyllo are tucked in the spring form pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden in colour. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 15 minutes prior to removing from the springform pan.Source: asparagus.on.ca