This recipe was developed and shared with us by Ontario asparagus farmer Elvira Koteles from Rocks Mill Farms.We think you will enjoy this family friendly recipe that is easy and versatile. Use fresh Ontario asparagus as the star ingredient, and then add in a selection of your favourite vegetables and meat. We’ve provided quantities and examples below but feel free to make substitutions to use what you have at home!
- Roughly 2 lbs. Ontario asparagus trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces – separated
- 1 medium sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 medium orange sweet pepper chopped
- 1 medium sized sweet onion sliced
- 3 cup cremini mushrooms diced
- 9-10 cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 cup bacon bits optional
- 2 cup of any precooked meat like chicken or turkey, shredded or cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tsp Cajun spice optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4-5 tbsp of your favourite BBQ sauce*
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese separated
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Alternatively, this can be placed on a BBQ grill on medium to high heat.
- Using an 11” x 9” foil container, combine all of the vegetables, meat and spice, starting with half of the asparagus on the bottom, and finishing with the second half of the asparagus on top. Stir in sauce. Top with half of the cheese. Cover with tinfoil.
- Bake/BBQ for approximately 45 minutes until the asparagus is fork tender. Check halfway through cooking to give it a stir to prevent it from sticking at the bottom.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and sprinkle remaining cheese on top before serving hot.
Option: If you don’t like BBQ Sauce, try adding a white alfredo sauce or another sauce that you like. Source: ontarioasparagus.ca